Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Casts, Pacifiers, and School!

We've been going non-stop since we returned from Vail. The first thing we did was get Elise's cast off!! Surprisingly, she sobbed once it came off - she definitely liked all the extra attention she got with it. We had one more x-ray taken after the cast came off just to make sure the fractures were healed and thankfully her new bone growth looked great! The doctor told us not to be surprised if she walked with a limp for up to 8 weeks after getting the cast off but we're happy to report that she is limp-free!









The next thing we tackled was Elise's pacifier. She took a pacifier the night she was born and has had it ever since. After doing some reading and talking to other mommies, we decided to take it away completely - COLD TURKEY! A couple days prior to 'Operation No-More Pacifier' we explained to her that pacifiers were for babies and she was now a little girl who would be starting school soon and couldn't take a pacifier with her. As much as she seemed to understand what we were saying, the day we took away the paci she was not going along with us and screamed and cried for her pacifier. :( By Thursday she was adjusting to life without her paci really well and we haven't looked back since!


To help take Elise's mind off of her pacifier (or lack thereof!) we had a playdate with a friend and played on inflatable slides and had lunch!








Onto the biggest news yet, Elise started school today! My mom has been watching Elise pretty much since she was born, which we are so thankful for, but we wanted to give Elise the opportunity to be around kids more, as well as give my mom a break! So a couple months ago, Greg, Elise, and I started touring schools to educate ourselves and find a school that Elise would love. We succeeded because Elise had an absolute blast today! I'm so relieved! This morning was rough - for me, not Elise - when I got back into my car after dropping her off the tears just started rolling down my cheeks. She had a great day and only cried for a minute during naptime. When I went to pick her up I asked her if she was ready to go home and she said No. I think it's safe to say she really enjoyed it and is looking forward to going back on Thursday! I am really looking forward to seeing all the new things she'll learn by going to school a couple days a week. :)







3 comments:

Bob and Jodie said...

I love the pictures! She looks like she's even grown since we saw her a few weeks ago. Cute backpack!!

Stephanie said...

She is adorable!! Can I borrow her shoes? :) xoxo

Jessica said...

How precious! I love her backpack! Bridget's first day of preschool is just about a month away. We can't wait!